Cambodia I’m here to stay (for a year)

Share
I left the good ole’ USA on December 31, 2009, set on exploring Southeast Asia and hoping to make a difference by volunteering in Cambodia. Who would have thought(well, some of my friends actually predicted), that my gig volunteering for the Ikat weaving project would turn into a full-time, paid job, that requires me to LIVE in Cambodia! (Yes folks, my 4 month trip has now turned into over a year-long stay.)

My work on the Ikat project involved developing the brand strategy, marketing plans for selling the product into the US, creating website plans, and helping a bit on product development and sample making. When the donor (my new boss), Dan, came to town the end of March I was able to present my plans to him. We also were discussing how we could launch the product in the US Market by May 2011 amidst production issues—weavers in Takeo (hub of weaving in Cambodia) are having some troubles transitioning to weaving in cotton versus their normal silk.

Through all of these conversations Dan said he liked my work and what Leigh (the current AMAZING project manager) and I had done to push the project forward. He then made me an offer to join the team (and be paid).

At hearing his offer I was extremely excited at the opportunity to contribute my skills for longer than 3- months and gain more experience—I mean, one of the sole reasons I set off on my volunteer expedition was to do some soul searching to discover if working in a developing country was something I could really do long term.

On the other side however, I was scared out of my wits! An opportunity was thrown my way that I would dream about, but now that it was reality I was stressed to the max because I wasn’t sure if I could handle living in Cambodia for a year.

So being who I am, I had to toil for days in making a decision. My tics went haywire—they had pretty much been dormant, sleepless nights, a dozen pro and con lists, and numerous conversations with family and friends. My brother reminded me that it would be like investing in a master’s degree without the $100K debt. My sister Jodi said of course you should go for it; it’s an amazing opportunity (all the while saying of course she would REALLY miss me!). My parents were sending me lots of prayers and support. And my friend Elizabeth reminded me during one of our ritual Sunday poolside conversations at the Golden Banana, that my favorite social philanthropist and hero, Greg Mortensen (Author of Three Cups of Tea), would just jump in and do what needed to get done because in the end it was a for the purpose of helping others who really need it.

So for one more sleepless night, a conversation with my parents and sister, I decided that OF COURSE I would take the job. I’d been fantasizing about creating businesses for women in developing countries forever. And now, here was the chance!
Now I’m jumping in, not just feet first, but with my whole body and mind. It will be a crazy, amazing, frustrating, exhilarating, tiresome year, but the pay-off is worth it!

I am now an official employee of Push Pull Cambodia. My mission: To launch a social enterprise in Cambodia providing long-term, stable employment to weavers in Takeo Province and seamstresses in Siem Reap.

Ready, set, GO!

Here's my new home/office.