The midnight train to Georgia (oops, I mean Chiang Mai)

Share
Somewhere between Bangkok & Chiang Mai, January 4/5, 2010
We all loaded up our packs (somehow, mine seems heavier than when I left and I haven't purchsed a thing!) and headed to the train station. We boarded the train and I found my compartment--#23 the top bunk. Yes, a bunk bed. Think cabin camping but on a train. Before I climbed up to bed for the night I had to still do my nightly ritual... brush teeth, wash face, and go to the bathroom. I was NOT expecting this... When I opened the bathroom door, there on the floor was a hole in the ground. Hmmm, this was going to be interesting! So, the good sport that I am and of course wanting to have the "true" Thai experience, I pulled down my pants and "squatted"! On a side note, I must say I was pleasantly surprised at how clean this bathroom stays. Amtrak should be ashamed!

So I slept through the night waking up sharply at 7 am. Yes, I'm jumping out of bed at 7 am every am. I think it's actually Bizarro joellen here in Thailand! There was a little snafu during the night with the train. The diesel engine broke down so they had to bring in a replacement engine. So now, instead of a 13 hour ride getting in at 7 am it was going to be 15 hours. Nok had forewarned us that the train could be 1-2 hours late getting in -- it's the Thai way. 5 hours is a bit more, but hey, it's all part of the experience. Right?

Being late allowed me to take in the beautiful Thai countryside. Mountains in the background, a blue sky hovering farm fields with grazing cows and small little towns with people milling about, even a little girl about 3 or 4 waving and blowing kisses to all of us on the train. Breathtaking!